• The New Age - A GURPS 4E Story
  • Chill - Tales of the Unknown
  • Three Leaves DnD 5E Campaign
  • Exalted - Legands of the North
  • Mage Revived
  • Code of Conduct Read in Rules Above

This Purgatory - The Cry of The Coyote

Nina

I struggled to open my eyes, but they were sticky from sleep and all I managed was to get one partially open. The daylight outside filtered through, making me squint as I took a few deep breaths and licked my dry lips. My mouth felt like cotton, matching the dryness of my lips. As I moved my legs to the side of the bed and sat up, I realized this wasn't my usual bed. It was much bigger and had an actual mattress, unlike the thin cot I was used to. And then it hit me - I was completely naked. This was a surprise, as the only time I was usually naked was during baths. A quick sniff confirmed that there hadn't been any baths in recent memory.

I slowly stood up and took a good look around the room. It was a small shack, with just one room that seemed to serve as both a bedroom and a living space. The walls were made of rough-hewn wood, with cracks and gaps that allowed bits of sunlight to filter in. There was no furniture apart from the chair that held my clothes and gun belt, but there was a small stove in the corner with a pot on top.

I walked over to my clothes and put them on, grateful for their familiarity and comfort after being naked for who knows how long. As I strapped on my gun belt, I checked to make sure my trusty Iron was loaded and ready for use. It was then that I noticed a faint smell of food coming from the pot on the stove.

Curiosity getting the best of me, I walked over to the stove and lifted the lid off the pot. Inside was some sort of stew - chunks of meat mixed with vegetables in a thick broth. My stomach rumbled at the sight and smell, reminding me that it had been a while since I last ate.

Hesitantly, I grabbed a spoon from a nearby drawer and dipped it into the stew before taking a cautious bite. It was surprisingly delicious, filling my hunger almost instantly. As I devoured the stew, I couldn't help but wonder who had made it for me.

Finishing off the last few spoonfuls, I put down the spoon and rubbed my now full belly contentedly. That's when I noticed something under my plate - an envelope with my name scrawled across it in messy handwriting.

I picked up the envelope and opened it, taking out its contents -an old photograph of me as well as some cash and a note.

The note simply read: "Welcome back home."

My mind raced as I tried to remember anything about this place or these people who apparently knew me. But all I could remember was waking up in the shack, completely lost and Puzzled.

It was a strange feeling, being welcomed back home to a place I had no recollection of ever visiting before. The photograph in my hands showed a younger version of myself, standing proudly in front of a building that seemed vaguely familiar but still out of reach in my memory. Who were these people that knew me? And why did they bring me here?

As I pondered these questions, the sound of footsteps approaching the shack interrupted my thoughts. Instinctively, I reached for my gun, ready to defend myself if needed. The door creaked open, revealing a tall figure standing in the doorway.

"Mara Blackwood," a deep voice boomed, sending a shiver down my spine. "It's been a long time."

I squinted at the figure, trying to make out his features in the dim light. Recognition dawned on me as I saw the emblem on his coat - the symbol of the Lawmen Guild. This man was one of us.

"Who are you?" I demanded, my hand firmly on the grip of my gun. Despite the familiarity of the emblem, I knew better than to trust anyone blindly in this unforgiving world.

The man stepped further into the shack, his face partially illuminated by the faint light filtering through the cracks in the walls. His rugged features bore the marks of a life lived on the edge, much like mine. His eyes held a steely resolve that mirrored my own, and for a moment, we stood there sizing each other up.

"I'm Deputy Marshal Jonah Reed," he replied, his voice steady and unwavering. "I'm here on behalf of the Lawmen Guild."

I relaxed my grip on my gun slightly but kept it within easy reach. The Lawmen Guild was known for their strict sense of justice and order, but they were not always to be trusted. Especially not after what happened with my father.

"What does the Lawmen Guild want with me?" I asked, my tone sharp and guarded.

Deputy Marshal Reed's gaze softened slightly, recognizing the caution in my voice. He took a step closer, his hands held out in a placating gesture. "We've been searching for you, Mara. The Guild needs your help."

I narrowed my eyes, studying him intently. The Lawmen Guild seeking my help was unexpected. After all these years of living on the fringes, I never thought they would come looking for me. But my father had been a respected member before... before everything changed.

"What kind of help?" I questioned, my grip on the gun relaxing a fraction more as curiosity mingled with wariness.

Reed hesitated for a moment, as if choosing his words carefully. "There's a new threat on the horizon. A gang of outlaws led by a man known as 'Coyote Jack'. They've been causing havoc in the territories, preying on the innocent and defying any semblance of law."

Coyote Jack.

Coyote fucking Jack.

The name sent a chill down my spine, stirring memories I had tried to bury deep. Coyote Jack was a name whispered in hushed tones even among the most hardened criminals. Ruthless, cunning, and brutal, he was a force to be reckoned with. His gang left a trail of destruction in their wake, and no town or settlement was safe from their grasp.

I studied Deputy Marshal Reed's face, searching for any hint of deception in his words. The Lawmen Guild may have been seeking help, but I knew better than to trust them blindly. However, the opportunity to take down Coyote Jack and his gang was too tempting to ignore.

"What's in it for me?" I asked, my voice cold and calculating.

Reed's expression remained neutral, but I could see a flicker of respect in his eyes. "The Guild can offer you resources, information, and backup. We know you've been operating solo for years, Mara. But this is bigger than any one lawwoman can handle alone. Together, we can bring down Coyote Jack and restore some semblance of peace to these lands."

I mulled over his words, weighing the risks and potential gains. Joining forces with the Lawmen Guild meant more eyes watching my every move, more rules to abide by. Yet, the thought of finally putting an end to the terror inflicted by Coyote Jack and his gang was a beacon of hope in the darkness that had shrouded me for so long.

There was also the matter of revenge long overdue.

"Fine," I finally said, standing tall and meeting Deputy Marshal Reed's gaze with determination. "But on one condition: I lead this operation. I call the shots."

Reed nodded in agreement, understanding the pride and expertise that came with years of surviving as a lone lawwoman. "Agreed. You have our full support, Mara. Together, we'll make sure Coyote Jack and his gang rue the day they crossed paths with Iron Mara."

A flicker of something resembling a smile crossed my lips at the mention of my moniker, a reminder of the respect and fear it instilled in those who knew it. I had earned the title of Iron Mara through blood, sweat, and unyielding determination. Now, with the backing of the Lawmen Guild, I was ready to face the greatest challenge of my lawkeeping career.

As Deputy Marshal Reed outlined the plan to take down Coyote Jack's gang, I listened intently, committing every detail to memory. The operation would require precision, strategy, and a level of cooperation that I wasn't accustomed to. But if there was one thing I had learned in this harsh world, it was that sometimes strength came not from standing alone but from standing together.

After hours of strategizing and preparation, the two of us set out towards the territories where Coyote Jack held sway and where we were to meet up with our back up.