• The New Age - A GURPS 4E Story
  • Chill - Tales of the Unknown
  • Three Leaves DnD 5E Campaign
  • Exalted - Legands of the North
  • Mage Revived
  • Code of Conduct Read in Rules Above

Chill - Modern Horror

Nina

This is my Modern Horror game. I will be using and Old and somewhat obscure game called Chill - specifically the 3rd edition.

It is a Hunters type game, in that the PCs will be relatively normal persons who have been touched by the UNKNOWN and now work with a secret society dedicated to protecting Humanity from the evils of the unknown.

The Unknown is all of the bad things that haunt the night, Vampire, Werewolves, Ghouls, Ghosts, zombies, and things that don't have names. It is the serial killer who isn't quite human, the slasher, the cannibal, the cult in the dark hills who worship old things from eons ago, and the witch who lives alone in the woods and preys on lost children.  

I will be adding a setting thread soon as well as character creation rules.

This is going to be run a little differently than my usual games. It will be episodic/monster of the week sort of thing where the current story is self-contained but exists in an overarching story. 

I have one guaranteed player I will take as many as wish to join. Characters do not need to be active in every thread in fact I don't expect them to be, you may even have more than one character in this game with different character being active in different stories.  

i am open for questions.

Ok

Chill is set in the modern world...pretty much our modern world. It is not the World of Darkness but of course there are similarities. In Chill all of the Supernaturals are monsters.  I will be using the setting of the game pretty much as is with only a few tweaks to bring it uptodate and make it a bit more gritty and interesting in these uncertain times.

The game setting itself was set in 2015 for the third edition building on the history of the game from the nineties. the best way to get a handle on the setting is to go ahead and read the History of SAVE which starts on page 75 of the book.  This is the setting and my additions/alterations will be placed at the end and will bring the setting to 2024.

So that leaves Character creation. Again I am not going to be making any broad changes. by the rules which begin on Page 22 of the book there are 3 options to create your characters. All three are on the table for you. My only change is that I am adding 5 character points to the creation rules  making the final total 85 instead of 80.

So choose whichever method you wish to make your character(s) and just make their base CP total equal to 85. this means you need to spend 5 points if you use option 1, 15 if you go with option 2, and 85 if you go with option 3.

you can have as many characters as you wish but only one can be active in a given episode.

I will post my additions to the setting in a seperate post.

Now before we get into the meat of the setting and before you make your character(s) we need to , as a group, decide where our base of operations is located.

In the current setting SAVE has once again fallen on hard times, the Pandemic hit SAVE hard, almost as if it was targeted. Small individual cells fared ok mostly but the large HQ cells located in major population centers were decimated with up to 90% of those HQ cells succumbing to the Disease. This led to the abandonment of most of the large HQ cells.

In europe the major countries have at most one Large HQ  with several having none. Russia has two, Australia has one, Africa has four, China none. and in North America, there are five, three in the United States and Two in Canada. Mexico has one HQ and Brazil has One that is the extent of SAVE HQ Cells in the world.  Each HQ Cell Manages Action Cells that enter its region regardless of origin location.

Our game will be based in The United States, because I have little experience will other countries, except for england and some of Germany and most of that is out of date.

But I will let you the players choose where our central base of operations is located.

The three remaining HQ Cells in the US are in the following locations;

Salem Massachusetts, the actual locations is in Marblehead but it was originally located Salem but moved due to a fire. 

Denver Colorado, The most modern HQ Cell in the world, located at the Denver Airport.

New Orleans Louisiana, One of the oldest HQ Cells in SAVE and one that strives to maintain the Traditions more than most.

my Players should choose one of these locations as our base.

When SAVE was reorganized in 2015 with new leadership and new directives it looked like things would be on the mend.

The Unknown had been beaten back…again. And the loss of the Dublin World Headquarters and more importantly the Archive had seemed a death blow to SAVE, but with the reorganization and the splinter cell approach even that loss was tempered.

For the next five years SAVE grew and had a greater degree of success rooting out localized evil. But the masters of the Unknown as always remained hidden and seemingly quiet.

Then the Pandemic hit. To the world at large the Covid Pandemic was a disaster, but to them it was simply an out-of-control disease. To SAVE it was a catastrophe. The Pandemic had Unknown origins and it struck hardest at those who practiced The Art. Envoys across the globe succumbed to the evil disease SAVE was once again decimated.

But through the Art a cure was found and thus the Unknown's weapon was nullified and once again SAVE face the task of healing itself.

It is 2024 and the war Against the Unknown continues.