• The New Age - A GURPS 4E Story
  • Chill - Tales of the Unknown
  • Three Leaves DnD 5E Campaign
  • Exalted - Legands of the North
  • Mage Revived
  • Code of Conduct Read in Rules Above

A Wellspring of Regret

Nina

Maighan took a moment after the fight to peer down the elevator shaft. After a moment, she worked up a mouthful of saliva and spat down it. If it ever hit the bottom, the splish sound was too quiet to pick out from up here. Even for her ears. As far as she could tell, killing the witch ended their obligations in this dank little pit. But she had a suspicion that these adventurers weren't going to settle for half measures here...

So she made her way to the 'kitchen' where Brarga was plying his trade. Rather than help cook, Maighan took her instrument out and meticulously cleaned it, tuned it, then began playing a rather calming, pleasant tune. Music that evoked memories of one's childhood home, however far it might be away in space and time, glimpsed through the hyper-real colors and emotions of one's younger self. Pleasant, but with a bit of a melancholy ache to it.

The soothing melody of Maighan's music filled the air, wrapping around the weary adventurers like a warm embrace. Braga stirred the pot of stew, the savory aroma mingling with the sweet notes of the tune. As he added a pinch of seasoning, his mind drifted back to memories long buried beneath battles and bloodshed.

The crackling fire cast a flickering light on the faces of his companions, each lost in their own thoughts as they tended to their wounds and gear. Beside Braga, Maighan's fingers danced gracefully over the strings of her instrument, weaving a tapestry of sound that carried them far away from the cold stone walls of their current refuge.

Despite the scars and bruises that adorned their bodies, there was a sense of peace settling over the group. The simple act of sharing a meal and music in the midst of chaos reminded them of their humanity, grounding them in the present moment.

As the last strains of music faded into silence, Braga ladled stew into bowls he had wiped clean and served his friends, he even gave a bowl to their captive.

“Here you go witch.” Brarga said roughly.

“My name is Agmeara, I have sworn the oath.” She looked back at the doorway beyond which they had fought. “That witch was not the one your quest seeks. Her name was Demiess, she serves the one you seek as did I but with different purpose. I will not name the one you seek for it would only draw her attention to us. Demiess may not have had time to alert her though before you killed her.”

Brarga looked to Agmeara, and took a seat.  "How did you come into her service?  If you know it, How did Demiess come to be here with these mercenaries why come here now?"

His voice was low, and a far cry from the harsh tones he used in battle as he slew those who stood against his party.   The warm stew and song woven by Maighan had put him in a more hospitable mood, enough that he was sharing food with the prisoner.   Still his tone wasn't overly friendly, and his questions were mostly the sort that pertained to the mission at hand, but he did at least obliquely show interest in Agmeara herself.  "I won't ask you to say her name, we have had more than enough attention for one day at least.   I know there's more going on than what we know, and now, while there are no arrows flying, blades slashing, or spells being cast, we can talk, and you can help fill in some of the gaps."

In the halls of a legendary, fallen Dwarven Hold, the melancholy in Maighan's music struck Kathra hard as she cleaned and buffed her hammer, armour, and shield and did what she could to rid herself of blood and grime and water and rag. She was young as Dwarves went, but she had lost much in her time.

Her thoughts went back to Land's End, before the arrival of the Dead King. Carried on threads of melody and harmony, she could feel the wooden deck beneath her feet and the salt spray on her face as she fished the sea that abutted her mountain home. The warmth on sun on her back and the taste of cold mountain air as she herded sheep and goats in the high pastures. The susurrus of waves against stone and sweat beading on her arms and chest as she worked the bellows in the great forge in the depths of the Hold.

She had shifted from one path to another more than most before finding her calling after despair and darkness consumed her home. Her hand reached up, blunt fingers rubbing the spun wires of True Gold that made up the Thane's Torc of Land's End. Some day...

Kathra was silent as she ate with mechanical regularity, thoughts lingering back on happier times, more carefree times. She only idly caught the words exchanged between Brarga and the witch. Finishing her stew, she got up to get more, jade eyes flicking to the lift and the shaft it descended into then to the Dragonborn and the Witch.

"And what does your Mistress - former Mistress -" Kathra amended with a tight nod, as she followed up Brarga's questions, "seek, wi - Agmeara? And where will we find her?"

Edited by Asarasa

Agmeara cut her attention back and forth between the Dragonborn and the Dwarf. She set her bowl down and looked solidly at Brarga, “The witch is much more than that, she is the high priestess of a Cult which worships the Forgotten Gods.”

“The Forgotten Gods?'“ Brarga questioned.

“Yes. When your Dragarren Empire was born and your emperor declared himself and his descendents the only true gods and set out to conquer everyone else, one of the first things your armies did was slaughter the priests and tear down the temples of the gods of the other kingdoms and outlaw their worship. Centuries later when your empire began assimilating the peoples they conquered the allowed limited worship of some of those gods but the first ones were gone and by that time forgotten as little more than tales. Those are the Forgotten Gods, nameless and unknown but they still hold power in the dark.”

Agmaera pauses to drink and gestures at Tooli and Antares who sat across by themselves. “That one knows, the mage who calls herself Tooli, what a silly name. Anyway. The cult does not get many volunteers so it steals them. I was taken when is was young, I don’t even remember my life before then. I had talent with magic so I was indoctrinated but my heart was never as black as my sisters.”

The witch turns to Kathra, “What does she seek? She seeks the means to return the Forgotten Gods to Tellus from their banishment. She seeks the Gold Road and the means to traverse it. She seeks to blind the All Seeing Eye of the God Emperor of the Dragarren. She seeks to change the world.”

Brarga considered what he was told, and it probably surprised her that he didn't bristle at her tone when she spoke of the Empire.  When she mentioned the Golden Road, he couldn't help but think about how they'd gotten here after getting the keystone.

"Can you tell us more about the Gold Road?"   Taking on a cult, well they'd already fought a large pack of goblins, and then the mercenaries here, They were only getting deeper and deeper into this.

Spoiler

NON OF YOU HAVE EVER HEARD THIS PARTICULAR STORY, HOWEVER EACH OF YOU RECALL SOME BITS LIKE PARTS OF IT IN SOME LEGENDS>

Agmeara shrugged. "The dwarf spoke of it earlier but they call it the see of true gold."  She poured herself a cup of wine from the stores. "A long time ago, before this world, there was a another world, with different peoples and gods of their own. None of the races that live in Parrella existed then, although their distant ancestors may have walked that land. Even the Eladrin did not exist then, but their queen might have some distant racial memory.

Parrella did not exist then. instead the lands we know today were not together but lay spread across the world with great oceans and seas between them.  There were many lands and chains of islands and many strange peoples, alien, with strange customs and stranger gods.

These peoples traded with each other across the seas and grew rich and fat and knew peace and prosperity,  but one land was poor it had little to trade and it grew jealous.  That peoples sorcerers made deals with otherworldly things and wrought a great spell. Those poor selfish people wanted to be the center of the world. 

The spell brought catastrophe. Tellus then was a flat plane which floated upon an ocean of boiling gold which in turn was held in place by twenty columns of the coldest ice and underneath and around the ice burned the fires of creation. The spell cracked the columns and shattered them. causing the plane the plane of the world to bend and twist and the lands which made up the world to all crash together with the accursed land at the joining point destroying them. The world kept twisting until its ends met and a ball was formed, a ball with a layer of ice under the ground and seas, and below that a sea of liquid gold which flowed around a ball of fire.

Now these balls which make up tellus are very thick hundreds and thousands of miles each. Over time cracks in the layer of ice have appeared and the gold from below seeps up into the bedrock and finds the cracks and the crannies which the dwarves mine. but it is said that at one time the dwarves dug so deep that they found a river of liquid gold flowing. That is the gold road. A river of liquid gold which leads to the very fires at the center of the earth."

• 2 weeks later...

Brarga listened intently, it was not a story he had heard before by any means, but the underlying issues weren't foreign to him at all.    He sighed.  "And here, in this place, They may have found a way to access this Gold road?"  He looked over towards the pit, and frowned.   "To what end?   If I understand right, it could be a source of tremendous wealth certainly, but is that really all?   I can't imagine that being the sum of it."

"Is there some other significance that I'm missing here?"  Brarga wasn't a stupid man, but nor was he a renowned scholar or genius.  In battle and war, he knew much but all of this was somewhat beyond him.  Thus he posed his questions to those of the company who would know more of it.  

The Dwarf, Kathra, looked thoughtful at Brarga's question. Her memories of the Gold Road were vague and hazy, but the mage Tooli seemed to know more. 

"Indeed," Tooli said, taking a sip of her wine, "the Gold Road is much more than a source of wealth. It is a pathway to the very core of the world, where the fires that forge and sustain creation burn. It is said that the Forgotten Gods themselves dwell or are imprisoned in that realm,the stories vary, and that by traversing the Gold Road, one can gain access to their power and influence."

Brarga furrowed his brow. "But why would anyone want to align themselves with gods long forgotten? And what of the Dragarren Empire? Surely they would see this as a threat."

Agmeara sighed. "The Dragarren Empire may be powerful, but if the Forgotten Gods, who are imprisoned there, were allowed access to the world once more, well, the Empire would not survive, nor probably your race.” She finished her drink and set the cup down, "and the one that freed them would be elevated."

Brarga snorted.  "And so there is no one to guard this Golden Road?  Nothing to keep those who would abuse it away, or those sealed beyond it there?"   He thought, his yellow eyes, narrowing.   "I don't see that.  And how exactly do you know all of this?"

Agmeara huffed and said nothing, it was Tooli who answered. "The gold road is not in one place, the Sea of True Gold lies deep under the earth, the road is that portion which rise through the layer of ice and flows into the bedrock. The road is never permanent. It moves as the ice cracks, melts refreezes.."

Agmeara nods her agreement.

Tooli continues, "As for guarding," she shrugs, "the only people who have ever seen a Gold Road are the dwarves, but Kathra should tell this part I think.'

For her own sake, Maighan kept playing, though lowered the volume and intensity of the music to let it fade easily into the background, and not impede the conversation. It would be easy to forget she was even there, perhaps. Playing music, listening, and watching the conversation play out with those almost luminous green eyes. What she thought of this tale, she gave no sign.

"Ah, the Gold Roads, children rivers from the Sea of Ægte Guld, which coats the heart of the world," Kathra said, her rich voice falling into cadence with the Eladrin's subtle music. "Ægte Guld, True Gold in the Common Tongue, is a natural alloy of all that is precious that can be wrung from the earth. Surprisingly light for the weight of its rarity, and born of the Fires of Creation, the blood of the Forge Mother, it is naturally magical. Cooled and hardened, True Gold cares not for time nor wear. It does not rust nor corrode, blades do not dull. As close to indestructible as dwarves have been able to forge, without the interference of the arcane."

The She-dwarf wrapped a broad hand around the torc made of said substance that ever adorned her neck, a wistful smile on her face. "There are tales, that in the first days, a Dwarf Hold would only be formally settled if a shore of a river of Ægte Guld could be found. Untrue of course, too rare by far, and would take too much effort digging into the bones of Tellus before deciding to settle. Though to be fair, it seems many Dwarf Holds were founded above a vein of True Gold. I have never seen one myself, for the vein of Land's End, rich as it was, was long played out before my time.

The Sea of True Gold is constrained by a shell of ice below the bones of the earth. Such is the heat of liquid True Gold that the ice cracks and fractures. Through these cracks wells up the Gold Roads, the rivers of True Gold diluted by the ice, perhaps one part in four or five. And it is further diluted when the rivers turn to a trickle and cools within the earth that rests upon the ice, one part per hundred at best, the rest other precious metals and minerals separating out. Over time, the ice shifts, refreezes, the Gold Roads close, and new ones form. The heat of the Gold Roads is unbearable and dwarves have only been able to dredge the rivers of True Gold but a few times in our history.

But there is a tale of a Dwarven master craftsman, crafty and clever by far, who is said to have built a ship that could not only sail the rivers of Ægte Guld and harvest their riches, but sail all the way to the Sea of Ægte Guld itself. The name of this legendary Dwarf has been lost, even to us, but not the name of his greatest creation. The Bannocgonal."

Kathra's big hands balled into fists, a fierce light flashing in her jade green eyes. "Of Forgotten Gods, I know naught. With no mortals to care for them, it seems to me they would be bitter and cruel and care even less for mortals in turn. And a mortal with the power of a God is more terrible still." Kathra gave Brarga a wry grin. "Your Empire and your Emperor is not as honourable as it proclaims, but they are a problem for mortals, not gods. I will not allow this witch to pervert the Bannocgonal, and twist the Fires of Creation to her own ends."

Edited by Asarasa

“The secret lies below,” Agmeara said softly, her voice hinting at the danger. “In the depths of the earth, where the fires burn and the rivers flow, lies the true power of the Gold Road. But to access it, one must be prepared to face not only the dangers of the journey, but the temptations of the Forgotten Gods as well.”

Brarga nodded solemnly, his gaze fixed on the fire that crackled and sparked in the hearth. “This is no trifling matter, then. We must proceed with caution and care, for the fate of our peoples may rest upon the choices we make.”

Maighan raised her instrument, its notes rising in a mournful melody that seemed to echo the thoughts and fears of those gathered. Her eyes met Kathra's, and for a moment, the dwarf's resolve faltered, replaced by a hint of doubt. But then she squared her shoulders and lifted her cup in a toast. "To the Gold Road, and the choices that lie ahead."

Preparations were made to descend. It was decided that not all should go. Antares would remain in the elevator room as would Merida and Agmeara. The would operate the cage-elevator and guard the parties only path of retreat. Brarga, Maighan,Kathra and Tooli would descend into the depths. After a full day of rest and recuperation the party entered the cage and Marida operated the gear shift and the cage began to lower.

As they descended into the earth, they were silent each privy only to his or her own thoughts. They could see below by looking through the metal floor of the cage which was a grate, all was dark and so they were surprised when the cage jolted to a stop.

Kathra, Brarga, Maighan, and Tooli exchanged worried glances as the cage came to an unexpected halt. The darkness below seemed almost palpable, as if the very air was heavy with ancient secrets.

"Is this...?" Kathra began, her voice a hoarse whisper.

"The entrance to the Gold Roads?" Tooli finished, her voice equally hushed.

From the shadows below, a faint glow could be seen, emanating from a small cavern entrance. The faint light seemed to dance and flicker, as if calling to them.

"We should move cautiously," Brarga warned, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword.

As one, the group stepped from the cage and into the cool, dark cavern. The air felt different here, charged with the power of the earth itself. The ground beneath them seemed alive, pulsating with energy.

The walls emitted a blue light that pulsed in an eerie rhythm, casting an otherworldly glow throughout the rough hewn cavern. Clearly, this was the work of dwarves and not some natural formation. The cavern spanned about twenty yards across with a domed ceiling reaching up to twenty feet at its peak. Other than a pile of crates stacked near the entrance of a tunnel on the opposite side, the cavern was empty. The tunnel was about fifteen feet wide and sloped downward, showing signs of more refined dwarven craftsmanship. It even had sconces to hold torches along its leveled floor. The crates contained various tools and supplies, including unused torches. The crates looked as if they had been here for only a few weeks certainly no more than a month.

The group approached the tunnel entrance, their steps hesitant as they tried to discern the nature of this mysterious place. Maighan held up her instrument, its notes resonating throughout the chamber, echoing ominously off the stone walls. The pulsing blue light seemed to sync with her melody, casting an eerie glow upon the group's faces.

"What do you think, Brarga?" Kathra asked, her voice trembling slightly with uncertainty.

Brarga scanned the cavern, his eyes narrowing as he tried to make sense of the situation. "I do not know," he admitted. "But we must proceed with caution. We cannot know what dangers may lie ahead or why this place has been left abandoned."

As they stepped into the tunnel, the group couldn't ignore the feeling that they were being watched. The air was thick and heavy, as if the very earth itself was trying to hold them back.

As they ventured deeper, the tunnel seemed to twist and turn, the walls glowing with an ethereal light that seemed to shift and change with each step. The air grew colder, and the hum of the earth grew louder, making them feel as if they were walking down the throat of a living creature.

They eventually arrived at another larger cavern, where the walls were stained with a deep reddish hue, and the air was thick with heat. In the center of the room sat a pool of molten gold, bubbling and roaring like a living thing. The air was thick with the scent of sulfur, and gold sparkled on the walls as if dusted in magic.

Suspended over the boiling pool was a cage and in the cage, an old dwarf clad in rags.

His skin was pale and his eyes were sunken, but despite his poor physical state, he seemed to radiate an otherworldly power. As the group approached, the old dwarf raised his head and spoke.

"Welcome, friends,I am Jorund" he croaked, his voice gravelly and weak. "You have come to seek the secret of the Gold Roads, yes?" A chuckle from deep in his chest escaped.

Kathra couldn't help but stare, her eyes wide with shock and awe. "You... you are the master craftsman! The one who built the Bannocgonal?"

The old dwarf smiled, a twisted, ghoulish expression that sent shivers down their spines. "Indeed, I am. But what you seek is not to be found in the rivers of gold. The true power lies in the heart of the earth, where the fires of creation burn and the rivers flow."

He cackled madly, “But you can only reach it with my magic boat, and I will tell you where to find it, just like I told the others.” He laughed again manically a laugh which turned into wracking cough.

Jorund's words sent a shiver down the group's spines, and they exchanged concerned glances. "You told others?" Brarga queried, his voice barely above a whisper.

Jorund chuckled, his voice weak yet full of malevolent glee, his movements rattling his cage. "Oh yes, I've told countless others, but they never come back. They fall prey to the temptations of the Forgotten Gods, or to the dangers of the depths. But you are different. I am sure of it." His smile was madness and malevolence.

"If they never come back, wouldn't the boat still be down there?" Maighan asks mildly as she strums a soft tune that echoes hollowly in the ancient halls.

"Further, you'd be quite old even for a son of the earth, if the tales are any guide. You have the look of someone who's been cursed."

She looks around the cavern, noting the ruddy, rusty staining on the rough stone walls. Iron ore perhaps? Or blood? Curious.

"Did the 'forgotten gods' leave you here, hmm? To direct the greedy and foolish into their embrace?"

"How are you sill here, and why?"  Brarga asked quietly, echoing some of Maighan's concerns.

He was also curious regarding the "boat" but looked to Kathra.  "Do you think we could release him?"   the unspoken question was whether they should. The way he laughed, Brarga could feel the malice and malevolence in it.  Still, If this was truly the ancient craftsman, he had to wonder what had happened to seem him as he currently was.

"How did you come to be in your current circumstances, Jorund?"

Kathra hadn't felt such a pang of loss since the fall of Land's End. Finding the fallen ruins of a legendary Dwarf Hold, and now coming face to face with the mythic master craftsman himself, and seeing him a twisted mirror of who he must've been. It hurt, but it firmed her resolve. Her fist tightened about the haft of her warhammer as she glanced around the cavern, lit by the rippling, ruddy glow of molten gold, looking for a way to release the decrepit creature that once was Jorund.

"Regardless of the circumstances, Master Jorund, we will free you of them," Kathra declared with grim determination. "And whether we fail or succeed in claiming the Bannocgonal and resist the blandishments of the Forgotten Gods, we will be the last you tell." 

“Heh, free, free.” Jorund quickly looked from one to the other as they spoke, then shook his head violently as if to clear it. “One at a time, one at a time! You,” he points a boney finger at Maighan,”This is not your realm, don’t get any ideas.”

“As for the rest of you, you must be careful. The Forgotten Gods are not to be trifled with. I have seen too many fall to their temptations. But, if you remain steadfast and follow the path I lay out for you, you may just succeed.”

Kathra raised an eyebrow at the dwarf's warning, but she knew better than to argue with such a master craftsman. “Very well, Jorund. We will tread carefully and heed your warnings. Tell us, how do we find this magic boat?”

Jorund cackled manically, his expression darkening. “You must find the Shimmering Stones and use them to open the path. But beware, for the Forgotten Gods will do anything to stop you.”

Maighan frowned, the old dwarf seemed to be holding something back. “And what exactly are the Shimmering Stones?” she inquired, her curiosity piqued.

Jorund's eyes gleamed with malice for a moment before he replied, his voice low and dangerous. “The Shimmering Stones are stones imbued with powerful magic. They will guide you to the entrance of the hidden caverns where the magic boat lies. But beware, the Forgotten Gods will see to it that you never find them.” He chuckled darkly, his laughter echoing off the walls of the cavern.

Brarga exchanged uneasy glances with Kathra and Maighan. “Well, that does sound promising,” he said sarcastically. “But where do we find these Shimmering Stones?”

Jorund's eyes narrowed. “The Shimmering Stones are not easy to find. You must venture into the depths of this mine, further than any dwarf ever dug before. You will encounter many dangers, but if you survive, you will find the stones.” He paused, a sly grin creeping across his face. “But I have a little something to help you on your way.”

With that, Jorund began to mutter incantations under his breath, his voice growing louder and more fervent. Suddenly, the air shimmered and a small, glowing map appeared in his hand. He held it up, the light emanating from it illuminating his sunken eyes and bone-thin frame.

“This map will guide you to the entrance of the hidden caverns. Once you find the Shimmering Stones, the magic boat will reveal itself to you. But remember, the Forgotten Gods will not make it easy for you. They will try to lead you astray, tempt you with their promises of power, and test you with their tricks

and traps. But you must remain steadfast and trust in yourselves."

Brarga frowned.  It was true, a part of him did wish to set Jorund free.  Still, he was obviously mad, and they were placing a great deal of trust in the ravings of a man driven mad by years of confinement and who knows what else.

"Thanks for the warning Jorund, and the map."   

It was evident that Brarga was on guard and didn't fully trust Jorund, but to go further, they would likely need the map, and the boat.

• 2 weeks later...

Kathra stepped to the edge of the pool of molten gold, its light casting an amber glow across her halfplate, the scent of sulfur strong in her nose, heat flushing her face. She met Jorund's sunken, yellowed eyes unflinchingly as she reached out to claim the map. Almost skeletal fingers held on with surprisingly strength, and Jorund's mad grin revealed stained teeth.

Kathra's jade eyes narrowed as she slowly pulled, her strength greater than that of the mad master craftsman. Jorund was pulled against the bars of his cage, and finally, we released his gift with a cackle.

"It is you, who must remember, Master Jorund," Kathra replied with a fiery coolness, glancing at the map, then rolling it up and slipping it through her belt. "We are dwarves. We pay homage to the Forge Mother and Stone Father, not for blandishments, but because we honour them for honouring us in trusting us to find our own way. Any gods that must buy their flock are no true gods, Forgotten or Known. But you are right in that my companions are steadfast and true."

“Through that door lies your path” Jorund cackled cheerfully and pointed. “Go seek your futures and return triumphat or not at all.”

The mad Dwarf laughed in his cage as the party went throught he door and followed the map

Kathra, Maighan, Bragra, and Tooli followed the glowing path on the map as unease settled in their minds. The mine's tunnels were like a labyrinth, twisting and turning endlessly with no end in sight. Ancient Dwarven runes adorned the walls, and deposits of ore shimmered with living colors, filling the air with magical energy.

The soft glow of the map lit their way, but the shadows seemed to grow deeper and more menacing, casting eerie silhouettes that danced as they walked. The scent of sulfur was thick in the air, and every so often they heard distant rumblings and metallic groans that made their hearts beat faster.

"What do you think, Kathra?" asked Maighan.

Kathra took a deep breath, her eyes scanning the intricate runes on the walls. "We have entered an ancient and powerful place. The runes here are different - more potent but also unstable. I believe we are getting close to the entrance of the hidden caverns."

As they continued forward, Tooli spotted something shiny behind a stalactite. "What is that?"

The group approached carefully, their warhammers ready for any danger. It was a large stone that glittered with ancient magic. The air seemed to hum with anticipation. "This must be one of the Shimmering Stones," whispered Tooli.

"But where are the other two?" Bragra wondered, furrowing his brow.

Kathra studied the map closely. "It shows three points of interest. This is our first stop. We should keep moving and search for the others."

As they ventured deeper into the mine, the air grew colder and dampness coated the walls. The smell of sulfur intensified, making their noses sting. Their footsteps echoed loudly through the tunnels, and every now and then they heard whispers that seemed to call out to them, tempting them with promises of great power and visions of victory.

Jorund's words rang true - the Forgotten Gods were testing them.

But they pushed on, driven by their determination to find the Shimmering Stones and the magic boat.

After what felt like hours, they stumbled upon the second Shimmering Stone, hidden behind a towering stalagmite. It shone just as brightly as the first, bringing them one step closer to their goal.

As they continued through the mine, the air grew colder and the walls more slick with moisture. The whispers seemed to grow louder, and they could see the skeletal remains of forgotten creatures scattered on the ground, a grim reminder of those who had never returned from this place.

Despite the growing danger, the group persisted, determined to find the Shimmering Stones and the magic boat. The third stone proved to be more elusive than the rest, hidden in even more obscure corners of the mine. But with patience and perseverance, they eventually discovered it and added it to their collection.

As they retrieved the final stone, a crackling energy filled the air around them, signaling that they were close to the entrance of the hidden caverns. The mine seemed to shift and groan around them.

The ground beneath them trembled, and the walls began to shudder. Darkness enveloped them as the mine seemed to collapse in on itself, drawing a sense of dread and uncertainty into their hearts. A flash of brilliance pierced the darkness, and they could see a giant cavern opening up before them.

"This must be it," Brarga whispered, his voice barely above a whisper. "The entrance to the hidden caverns."

With their senses heightened and the adrenaline pumping, the group made their way into the cavern. The walls were alive with powerful magic, the energy emanating from the Shimmering Stones guiding them further into the depths of the cavern. The air was thick with anticipation, and the ground below them seemed to hum with power.

As they ventured deeper into the cavern, they spotted the outline of what must be the magic boat, resting on a pool of shimmering Silver. The boat, about 65 feet long with a single mast amidships but no sail, seemed to be carved from a single piece of crystal, its surface glowing with the energy of the Shimmering Stones.

A stone pier stretched from the edge of the pool out to the boat, the group stepped onto the pier and approached the boat cautiously, wary of any potential traps or illusions that the Forgotten Gods might have set for them. Kathra reached out, tentatively touching the boat's surface.

"By the Forge Mother and Stone Father, I call upon the true magic of the Dwarven people. Let this boat be our passage to the Roads of Gold and the Heart of Tellus, and may its power guide us to glory or doom," she pronounced, her voice echoing through the cavern.

As soon as the words left her lips, the boat began to hum with energy, its crystal surface shimmering even brighter than before. A soft glow emanated from its bow, illuminating a path across the water, beckoning the group to embark.

A low rumble emanated from the dark shadows at the edge of the light cast by the boat. The rumble grew and aloud hiss could be heard now, the sounds of stone sliding and falling, then a growl.

“Whom disturbs the rest of Vamrayphoarth? Who dares light the Dwarfish vessel?”

The sound of a huge weight slithering and stepping echos and a shadow, darker than the shadows at the edge of the light takes form, a serpentine head with burning purple eyes, a head as big as the boat!

Brarga steeled his nerve, and drew his axes, ready to do battle, even with a foe such as this.  His comrades stood with him, a good friend awaited his return, and children awaited the return of their mother.   He stepped forward.

"I am Brarga Bloodaxe, Dragonborn of the Emergent Famila, Former Lieutenant of the 8th Imperial Legion, and Leader of this company.  War has been my lot and my trade, and yet we have come not to disturb the rest of any, nor seek quarrel, save with those who seek the ends of the Golden road for dark purpose."

His yellow eyes seemed to shimmer  in the light of the boat, and he continued.  "I ask that you allow us passage, before it is too late."

“Dragonborn…” the voice rumbles low threatening as the owner of the voice moves into the into the light revealing a long, lean body. it had scales that ran from deep purple to midnight black. Two long, white horns sprout above its hateful indigo eyes, while long, black, curved spikes run from the base of its skull down to the tip of its tail. It was a Purple Dragon, a myth come to life.

“You are no dragon, no blood of my race flows in your veins, all I smell is magic and fear.”

The Purple Dragon's words echoed through the cavern, sending a shiver down Brarga's spine. He knew that this encounter could either make or break their quest for the Golden road. Brarga stepped forward, meeting the dragon's gaze with a mixture of determination and respect.

"You speak the truth, mighty dragon. I do not claim to be of your kin, but I do seek passage on this ancient vessel for a noble cause. We mean no harm to your rest or your realm. We only wish to travel the Golden road to reach the Heart of Tellus and uncover the mysteries that lie beyond."

The dragon regarded Brarga with a mix of curiosity and suspicion. Its sharp eyes scanned the group, assessing each member with a keen intelligence. After a moment of tense silence, the dragon spoke again, its voice rumbling like thunder through the cavern.

"The Golden road holds secrets that even I dare not seek to uncover. But if you are brave enough to face the trials that await you, then I am willing to grant you passage on this vessel. For a price.

Brarga's heart pounded in his chest at the dragon's words. He knew that dealing with a creature as ancient and powerful as the Purple Dragon would come with a cost. But the determination to complete their quest burned brightly within him, pushing him to take the risk.

"What price do you seek for our passage, mighty Vamrayphoarth?" Brarga inquired, his voice steady despite the nervous energy thrumming through his veins.

The Purple Dragon's indigo eyes seemed to gleam with inner fire as it considered Brarga's question. After a moment, it spoke with a voice that resonated with ancient wisdom and power.

"There is a thing I wish you to retrieve from The Heart at the center of the world - a small golden seed of power known as the Heartbloom. It is said to be the source of all magic in our realm, a seed that can bring about either great prosperity or untold destruction. Promise me the Heartbloom, and you shall have your passage on this vessel."

The group exchanged glances, weighing the risks and rewards of the dragon's request. The allure of unlocking the secrets of the Heart of Tellus was strong, but the dangers that awaited them at its center were unknown.

Brarga stepped forward once again, his voice resolute. "We accept your challenge, mighty Vamrayphoarth. We will retrieve the Heartbloom from The Heart at the center of the world and return it to you."

The Purple Dragon nodded in acknowledgment, its eyes gleaming with a mixture of approval and ancient knowledge. "Then go forth, brave adventurers, and may your quest be swift and sure. But remember, Do not betray your promise, When you have finished your business below bring me the Heartbloom, or I will unleash my wrath upon the world above.” As he says this Vamrayphoarth stands on his hind legs and spreads his mighty wings revealing his true size and as the party gaze upon him in awe and fear they see other dragons emerging from the shadows, smaller than Vamrayphoarth, but still any one of them would be a challenge and there were many.

Brarga knew that their task had just become infinitely more perilous with the presence of the other dragons. The odds were stacked against them, but he also knew that turning back now was not an option. The fate of their quest, and perhaps the fate of the world above, rested on their shoulders.

With a determined nod to his companions, Brarga turned back to the Purple Dragon. "We will not fail in our task, mighty Vamrayphoarth. We shall retrieve the Heartbloom from The Heart at the center of the world and return it to you as promised."

The dragon regarded them with a mix of menace and curiosity before letting out a deep rumble of approval. "Then go forth and may luck be on your side," it declared before turning away, its massive form disappearing into the shadows as the smaller dragons followed suit.

As they watched the dragons depart, the group knew that their journey would only get harder from this point forward. But they steeled themselves as they boarded Bannocgonal and the boat began to move through the sea of silver.

Spoiler

trying to move this along.